Inner-City Arts affirms that it is our policy to afford equal protection in all our personnel practices to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, military status or any other protected status as defined under state and federal laws.
Graphic Design Teaching Artist (P/T)
Inner-City Arts is seeking a Graphic Design Teaching Artist who will design and implement a robust graphic design curriculum for our programs, focusing primarily on serving middle and high school students in our out-of-school time Institutes Program. Teaching artist will plan, teach, and assess each class in accordance with the mission of Inner-City Arts. Teaching artist will research, experiment, and cultivate ways for graphic design to be part of student’s lives at Inner-city Arts. The curriculum should aim to amplify students’ individual and collective creative voice through the visual medium of Graphic Design. These programs are offered three times a year in the Fall (10 weeks), Spring (10-12 weeks) and Summer (6 weeks). Fall and Spring classes run once a week for 90-120 minutes and Summer classes are offered twice a week for 90-120 minutes (180-240 per class per week total).
The Graphic Design Teaching Artist is a part-time position at 20 hours per week, 10 hours of which would involve contact hours with students while Institutes are in session. This position is will be responsible for planning, teaching, and assessing Graphic Design Institute classes as well as developing, implementing and growing the Graphic Design curriculum each term. We are looking for someone with strong collaboration skills who can devise content with other teaching artists to create multidisciplinary classes. The Graphic Design Teaching Artist will also have the opportunity of mentoring and counseling students with a strong interest and desire to pursue graphic design in the future. This is a unique opportunity to establish a graphic design studio for students that provides access to professional training and opportunities to work on design projects that will serve Inner-City Arts and the community.
Inner-City Arts is seeking a creative individual who is both a practitioner and an educator/mentor with Graphic Design experience, focused on “learner-centered,” learning-by-doing processes that combine artistry, exploration, and craftsmanship. Individuals with a strong commitment to nurturing student identity and voice while making a social impact through the medium are strongly desired.
We are seeking strong team players with experience in the field of Creative Youth Development to join our staff. The Graphic Design Teaching Artist would serve within a flexible, cooperative environment, and as a member of a team of innovative, inventive, committed studio staff and administrators that comprise the Programs team. He/she should uphold the values of safe space and creativity as expressed in the philosophy and values of the program.
- Required experience: minimum Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or relevant field.
- Established practice in the process of Graphic Design and able to present a portfolio of both personal and student work
- Technical Knowledge: Adobe Creative Suite knowledge specifically in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign. Motion graphics skill is a plus.
- An ideal candidate would have an Early Adolescent and Adolescent Development background with a foundational understanding and education in how development affects participation in the creative process.
- Proven track record of a commitment to youth ages 11-18 with a minimum of two years teaching experience in either after-school or community settings.
- Knowledge of and implementation experience in Creative Youth Development
- Experience integrating technology into the curriculum
- Demonstrated experience in Curriculum Development.
- Demonstrated experience in research and development of new student projects in educational practice.
- Understanding and articulation of 21st Century Learning Skills
- A commitment to diversity, and effectively working with diverse participants.
- A commitment to equity and social justice for the youth of Los Angeles and beyond.
- Ability to take the initiative and work well with others compassionately.
HOURS: 20 hours per week
LOCATION: Inner-City Arts is a contemporary, creative facility in the downtown Los Angeles Warehouse District, adjacent to the Produce Mart and Skid Row.
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and letter of interest to the Hiring Committee, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "PT Graphic Design Teaching Artist”.
“I am just completely blown away by this place, from the second I walked in. The music, the space, the energy here - it just allows you to be free with yourself, and to accept yourself and learn to love yourself.”
– Actor Sara Ramirez, Grey’s Anatomy